Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lawsuit Waiting To Happen

I'm sorry I hadn't posted until now.  Moving has been much harder then I thought it would be.  But after reading this, even though I had addressed this issue in my 'believing' paper, I wanted to be able to make my own voice heard!

One of the most important things to note is that this is a ban on people who are tattooed working for -the city-.  This isn't about general businesses, but city workers such as police officers, dog catchers, court reporters etc.  It also doesn't say "No Tattoos" it says "No visible tattoos", meaning that a person with a tattoo can cover it up.  Or a person with a facial piercing can take it out.

Granted, it isn't always as easy as that.  After all, anyone with a facial piercing can tell you that it's a pain in the rear to have to take the piercings out and put them back in later or get a spacer for it.  But if you want to work in a "professional" setting, I can completely see where the argument stems from.  Bountiful City is not making it "illegal" to have tattoos - simply banning public city workers from having any visible ink.  IMHO a person with a tattoo is not any different than anyone else.  However, it is not MY humble opinion that matters, it's all the little grey haired ladies who have to call the police man to get her kitty out of the tree.  If he shows up with facial piercings and tattoos visible, she might very well have a heart attack and die.  And that's a lawsuit just waiting to happen!

Joking aside, this policy is not one that is necissarily "bad", though if I was one of the employees that had a visible tattoo already I would likely fear for my job.  It may not be the reason that I was fired, but they could find a way. 

In the end, I completely agree that tattoos are protected by freedom of speech - and that everyone has a right to express themselves in whatever manner they choose.  However, if you want to express yourself, and you want to work for the city which already -has- a dress code, just get one that can be covered!

No comments:

Post a Comment