Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bountiful City Policy

I think that this is a very interesting topic of discussion. Being someone who does not have any tattoos I find it hard to relate to those that do. I feel like this has been an issue for many years and it continues to cause a lot of controversy. The question with the policy that I have is what does someone having a tattoo show about who they are as a person. I find nothing wrong with wanting to be classy, or to present yourself in a way that appears upstanding. I sometimes wonder why people who willing pierce or tattoo their bodies feel like it is wrong for someone not to want that to represent them. That however does not mean I feel it is right to not hire someone based on an assumption of what having a tattoo or a piercing means, or shows about a person.

I think that if the reason they are making this the policy is because they feel that those with tattoos are not as hard of workers or some other type of stigma that follows tattoos then I feel like it is a sad day for people with tattoos and piercing. In my opinion the way you judge a person or in this case the way you evaluate someone is by who they are not because of what they are. Each of us has a picture in our mind of what people are without really even knowing the person. From my experience I have learned that people can look a certain way and they can actually be very different. I have only learned that by getting to know the person and actually seeing who they are. I believe that as a society whenever there has been what I call blank statements placed upon people there is never good results.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about wondering why people that have tattoos or piercings feel it is wrong for someone (an employer) to not want them to represent them (the employer). In our society visible tattoos and piercings are not considered to portray a professional image. No one can say they were not aware of this when they made the choice to get a tattoo or piercing. Actions have consequences. When someone makes that choice they surrender that professional image that is necessary for many lines of work in our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is very well said.It is coming from yourself, with no tattoos, so you are able to understand that side of things but you also acknowledge that people cannot be judged by their piercings/tatoos alone.

    ReplyDelete