Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bountiful Policy

I think that what the City of Bountiful is doing is against our civil liberties. People shouldn’t be judged by whether or not they have tattoos; to me, that’s like saying, "We won’t hire you because of your skin." At that point, when will it stop? This will set us back, not keep us going forward. I do agree that if someone has a tattoo that is offensive, like a big swastika on your face, then obviously they have a valid reason in not hiring them. But what’s the harm in someone having a peace sign on their hand, or anything else? This also makes me wonder about the people that have the wedding rings tattooed on their finger. If a husband wanted show his wife how much he loved her by getting his wedding ring tattooed onto his finger, then it's possible he couldn't get hired for showing how committed he is in his relationship? Sorry if my comments offend anyone; I just feel very strongly about this. I guess I should say that, in their defense, it probably is difficult to keep the professional appearance if you have a worker like Lizard Man, who is covered in tattoos from head to toe. I know that they are just trying to make business more efficient, and that they believe that this is the best way to do this, but I think that there have to be other ways of accomplishing this; if not, then the policy has to be modified. However,in a place like Utah, I don't know whether this will be modified, or if it will just be forgotten about.

3 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting what you said about agreeing that if someone has a tattoo that is offensive, like a big swastika on the face then that would obviously be a good reason for not hiring them. While I can see the effectiveness of this general idea I think it is easier said than done. I think it would be a very difficult line to draw as to say what visible tattoos could and could not be considered by law to be acceptable to employers hiring future employees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have the right point of view, weather or not a persons tattoo interferes with a job opportunity should be relative to the content of the tattooing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your point of view, I think that the tattoo could be exceptable based on its content but I do agree in saying that is a hard line to draw. But I enjoyed the ideas and examples you gave, it really opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete