Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bountiful Tattoo Policy

I think that they should get rid of the law in Bountiful concerning employees having tattoos. For most people, tattoos and piercings are a way of expressing who they are and what they love. Personally, for me, I wouldn't ever get a tattoo or piercing because of my religious beliefs, but I'm not against those who have them. To me, they are still people who have the potential of becoming whatever they want to be, they are still people that shouldn't be discriminated against. However, I can see the employer's point of view as well, they want to maintain an official look for their business and in their eyes tattoos and piercings just don't make the cut, but the old saying still stands true, you can't judge a book by its cover. When we judge others by their outward appearance we are losing the chance to know them as people.
If this law is allowed to continue it would be promoting discrimination. What will our kids think when we say discriminating against people is wrong, except if they have tattoos and piercings? I think that if one law allows discrimination, then eventually more laws will be made that allow discrimination and then where would we be? To me, this law in Bountiful is there because people know that it is wrong to discriminate but they feel that if there is a law saying that they can reject employment because of tattoos then it is okay to discriminate and I completely disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment